Tuesday, March 27, 2012

...Guess what I did today???



I totally helped identify some unknown remains today!

I volunteered to go to the morgue, with another tech, to take some skull x-rays of some poor individual that was found deceased.

I don't know the whole story, but I do know that my images have been used to positively identify a missing person. X-rays were needed because the individual had been deceased for quite awhile and decomposition was quite advanced.

No, the smell wasn't bad. He was dessicated, not rotting.

Yes, there was some extensive damage to his head and face, but I did fine, didn't get nauseous or faint.

Yes! It was cool.

The other techs opted out of going, but I really wanted the experience. I am glad I did it and I am also glad at how well I handled it.

That's another notch on my belt. Feeling pretty good right now.





3 comments:

Mary Sue said...

Go Tanya! Did I ever tell you why I chose not to major in pre-med biology? It was a serious option for me... I was going to go to Concord U, complete the pre-med program, whiz through the MCATs, and get accepted to the Lewisburg School of Osteopathic Medicine... That was the plan. I was in a club called "HSTA" or Health Sciences & Technology Academy in high school for back-up scholarships in the event that I didn't get the promise scholarship. Part of the requirements for the HSTA tuition waiver was to attend 2 different summer camps. One was at WVU, and was a "biomedical" camp. Part of it involved visiting a cadaver lab. It was a bad experience for me and I had nightmares for months afterward. That was when my second option, music, became my first option :P

Tanya Johnson said...

Hi MSB! Great to hear from you. What is your email address? All I have is your old Glenville account and I figure...since you've graduated already...that account probably isn't valid anymore. I had no idea about your pre-med plans. You'll have to tell me about the cadaver lab some day. Sounds like a good story! I'm having a pretty good time, I love x-ray, I just don't like being away from the family so much. I only have about 6 weeks left and then I'm back home. Give me an email soon, so we can catch up.

Mary Sue said...

My Glenville account is still good, but I also have my teacher account now... It's msbailey@access.k12.wv.us, and I sometimes use bailey.marys@gmail.com...I probably check this blogger thing about twice a month at best, but I check my Glenville and teacher emails every day.