Sunday, November 16, 2008

Next Generation

As many of you know, I played basketball when I was younger. In fact, my entire family played basketball. The Johnson family is probably the most successful basketball family in Canada. I played Div II down in the States, Ting, Rachel and Erika made it to Div I and Darren made it to CIS in Canada. Yes, it is mainly due to the fact that there were 5 of us, but it was also due to the fact that we all loved to play the game and worked hard at it. Our Dad started us at a young age, and in fact, he is still playing at a ripe ole age of 60+. He is preparing to play in his third World Masters Games in Sydney, Australia next Fall. How cool is that? My Dad taught us everything he knew. I have pictures of him playing somewhere, I just can't find them at the moment. I will upload them when and if I ever find them. Anyways, back to the Johnson 5. We spent our high schools years playing as much as possible, we went to every camp our parents could afford to put us into. Mom and Dad spent every weekend travelling to games all around the province to watch us play. We were a basketball family. Sure we played soccer and volleyball and ran track and field. But our hearts belonged to basketball. It still does. We have all found ourselves coaching the sport at one time or another. I ran my own camp in Grade 11 and 12 out in Merritt, BC. We tried to give back as much as possible. In fact I am still coaching to this day. Only this time, I have the pleasure of coaching the next generation of Johnsons. My oldest daughter, Aislinn, although her last name is Konig, is the next generation of Johnsons to play basketball. With all that basketball blood running through her, I was hoping and praying that she would not only play, but play well. You know what? She did and she does. I put Aislinn in her first basketball league last year and she dominated. Here is my very first layout I did. It was about Aislinn playing.


Aislinn is in her second year of playing now. She is only 11 years old but she made a select U13 team. I am helping coach her, and she is doing great. Everyone that sees her play says that she has great court sense. This is not something you can teach, this is something that you either have or don't have. It is in the blood. Johnson blood. I took some pictures of her during her game this past weekend.

A year older.


A new uniform.


A new team.


Another chance for me (that's me with the "plumber's butt" in front) to teach my child everything I know. Yup, we are well on our way to creating the next dynasty of Johnson basketball. The entire clan is hoping that she doesn't stop growing, that she grows into those size 8 1/2 woman's shoes and becomes our first post player. Keep your fingers crossed siblings.

Now we just have to work on Mackendra...


Oops...well...we're working on learning to swim first.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

First off...I have to say that Mac is just TOO cute with her little goggles!! Second...MAN are Ace's feet big!! They look like clown feet!! Fingers crossed, she'll grow in to them...or she could just get those cursed boat feet that show up in our family!!