Tuesday, December 15, 2009

...has this ever happened to you?

I have a story...sit back, put your feet up (but keep your fingers on the scroll button), relax and listen...

I think is was two years ago, I may be wrong, usually am (ask Frank), we were on our way back from California? (ok, so the details of the story may be vague, but trust me, this is a good one), and we decided to stop at the outlet mall to do some last minute shopping before we arrived back in ohmylordhowcantheychargesomuchforthis?!? Canada. We had been driving for quite awhile and everyone was tired and sweaty, sick of being in the car, yet excited at the prospect of spending some money and getting some superawesome running shoes at the Nike Factory Outlet store. Well, that excitement lasted about 20 mins. My lovely 4 year old daughter (aka Mackendra) decided that the Nike Factory Outlet Store was boooorrriiiiinnnnnngggggg and she didn't want to be there. After hiding in the clothes (on the floor!) and following me and her dad around whilst moaning and whining and finally throwing a huge hissyfit in the middle of the shoe aisles, Frank had it. He grabbed her and took her outside. Thank you, Frank. He plunked her in the back of the car, cracked open the window (and no, it wasn't hot outside), locked the door and walked away. Don't panic...he didn't go far. He stood on the sidewalk, in clear view of the car and waited for us. I shopped on...blissfully unaware of the drama that was unfolding outside.

Not ten minutes after Frank had left, holding a crying child under his arm, did he come marching back in the store and say very firmly to me, "put it down, we're leaving." What? No! I'm not done spending money on shoes and other cute athletic gear. Why? Now I was the one whining and moaning. Frank just gave me his look, you know the one, the big, staring eyes, pursed lips, tight jaw, flared nostril look. Ok, ok...I'm coming. Aislinn!!!! Let's go, no, put it down, we're not buying anything, I know we promised, stop whining, comeon, now!!!! Now everyone was whining and moaning.

It turns out that Mackendra, sitting in the back of the car, had decided not to give up and let dad win. NO! Mackendra decided to up the ante...put me in the back of the car will you???? Well, how 'bout this? "HELP ME!!! HELP ME!!! Oh hi, can you go into the Nike store and get my Dad? Yes, he locked me in the back of the car and left me. Yes, a loooooooooong time ago." Uh huh...my dear daughter was hailing down fellow passing consumers and crying for help. Frank had already talked to one couple as they entered the store looking for him, telling them that everything was fine, that "no, she's ok, I'm here, I can see her, she'll be fine," all the while thinking to himself, "that little brat! And mind your own business!" Anyways, after the second couple that heeded the cry of a poor, abandoned, little girl locked in a car while he awful parents shopped at the outlet store for hours upon hours...Frank finally had it and proceeded to ruin the rest of his family's shopping pleasure.

Thanks Mackendra. Aislinn still talks about that day.

What have your children done to you to ruin your day?

Tanya

No comments: