Sunday, December 6, 2009

Family Photos


So, we have never done this as a family...this is something that is brand new for us. And it felt kinda weird. The kids loved it, but I don't know, it just felt awkward.

When I was a kid, I remember doing this just once with my own family. I was in grade 6 or so and I wore this very chic gray sweater dress. At least I thought it was very chic. But I was a grade 6'er living in Prince George, BC. What did I know? We all dressed up and headed to Sears for our one and only professional family photo shoot. The picture was before the 2 youngest in our family were born. The two siblings that were in the pictures with me, if I remember correctly had similar feelings to me. I think Ting had a really bad Afro/Perm haircut thing going on, and Rachel was just grumpy and not smiling at all in any of the pictures. I guess it wasn't very successful, because I have never seen any of those pictures in a frame or photo album. I also remember feeling just as weirded out then as I did this time. Who takes pictures like this? This isn't what we are like. And it is so hard to smile naturally. It just feels fake, plastered-on, not right! Oh, and my eyes are always squinty! Grrrrr....

Anyways, the good thing about this photoshoot was that it wasn't done in a stuffy Sears studio. The lovely Auria is a photography minor in university, and she went for a walk with us outside and then we constructed a studio at home with duct tape and a sheet.

So, here are some of the results:







Then we dressed up in our "fancy" clothes and took some more formal pictures, and these are the ones that made me all squirmy and feeling fake:



There was one picture that Frank really liked...it was of his girls.


Actually, this one is kinda cute.

But after holding my head just so, twisting my torso like this, lifting my chin, opening my eyes wider, and sucking in my gut, I needed to let loose a little.



The kids felt the same way...



When the dust cleared and the bright lights stopped blinding us, it turned out pretty good and I think we will end up seeing some of these pictures in frames, or at least on this blog.


Thanks for looking everyone. Hope you and yours have a great holiday season.

Love Tanya


3 comments:

Purplestamper said...

I think your family is beautiful...inside and out. You guys make me smile. Love all the photos and fun. Have a great Holiday season together and thanks for sharing your children with me.
Cheese...

Natasha said...

Personally...I've never really liked the studio ones either...and I have to say that I thought that I was sporting a cute little yellow dress and had a very stylish, very cute bob cut...and I have to admit that I think that I loved taking those pics...at least that's what my smile was saying!! LOL!!
I like the outside pics the best...and your family is beautiful!!

Mary Sue said...

These are great! They make me miss you even more!