Monday, February 9, 2009

Procrastination: Is that a class I can enroll in?

Hello Everyone,

So, I am procrastinating right now. I will try not to spend too much time on this. I have a big test coming up, actually, 2 big tests, a presentation and a paper due in the next couple of days. So, I am putting it off because I don't really feel like studying at the moment.

To catch you up to date. It has almost been exactly one month since Frank abandoned me here in Glenville. It was tough the first two weeks, but I am getting the hang of it. I have made some friends and my classes are starting to make sense. I am used to eating by myself now. In fact, it is sometimes preferable to making small talk with people. I have had to explain my story to countless people. Everyone wants to know how I ended up in Glenville in the first place, and why the heck I'm back, years later. Sometimes, I just want to eat my salad in peace.

This past weekend I was able to meet up with Frank in Dayton, Ohio. He was sent there by his company to do training. Dayton is only just over 4 hours away. As soon as I got out of class on Friday, I packed the car and took off. I was so excited! I took some pictures along the way and I wanted to share them with you. The first couple were taken, all in Ohio (I figured you had seen enough pictures of West Virginia in my last couple posts). The sunset was spectacular. The sun was this huge fiery ball on the horizon.


It was huge-er and fiery-er in real life.
But before I took the sunset picture, I saw some local wildlife.


Yep, more deer. However, not as many as I expected. I did see these exotic creatures...


Can you make them out? Those are a couple of "ice-fishing red-necks", I'm not sure what the latin name for these species are. Now, here's the thing about bodies of water in West Virginia, and I think, Ohio. There are no natural lakes down here. Apparently, because the glaciers during the Ice Ages never made it this far south, no lake beds were carved out. All the lakes around here are man-made. That just about blew my mind the first time I learned that. No lakes!!! British Columbians can't quite wrap their minds around that. So, these "ice-fishing red neck" are standing in a man-made lake designed for ice-fishing. Weird.


Here is a pretty cool picture I like to call "Tree beside the freeway, in Ohio". I think I will do a scrap page with this picture later. It just looks kinda neat. You can tell this was taken in Ohio because it is so flat, no mountains like West Virginia. Look how straight the road is. And nice big shoulders in case you should fall asleep at the wheel. This is in contrast to the following movie clips, both taken on my trip back to Glenville, in the West Virginian hills.




Very twisty, no shoulders and no possibility of falling asleep at the wheel and being okay. If you listen carefully you can hear me squeaking a little as I try to make some of those corners driving one handed while holding the camera. Oh yah, I forgot that my music was on and since one hand was trying to navigate S curves and the other was trying to document it, that meant there were no hands to turn off Feist. The Locals tell me that these turns are nothing, that "Ya should see the roads back home!" I guess they would know.

The next movie clip involves me telling you a direct lie. Watch...





So, you ask, "How was your visit with Frank?" Well, I will just say that this is a family blog, so no details will be discussed here. Kidding...it was wonderful, too short (we only had about 1 and 1/3 days together), but certainly worth the 8 hours of total driving. We ate really yummy foods, trying to avoid salads if possible, watched videos...oh! We discovered this amazing invention! There are these cool little red vending machines that you can rent DVD's from for a buck! Yah! Amazing huh? New releases and everything. They had them at gas stations and at Wal-Mart. You can return them to any vending machine. What a great idea. Do you remember when you had to practically promise a video store your first born to rent a VHS? One dollar, people! Canada needs to invest in these little babies really soon. Anyways...back to my weekend. It was really nice to spend it with my best friend. I miss my kids terribly, but I really miss just being around Frank. When I dropped him off at the airport and started driving home, this really sappy love song came on and I repeated it 3 times and sang and cried and sang some more. What a sap, huh? Oh well. It will be another 4 weeks before I get to see him and my kids for Spring Break. That seems a really long time, but right now, tomorrow is coming really fast and I need to study for that test. I am done procrastinating.

Talk to everyone soon. Drop me a line and let me know how your life is going.

Love Tanya

7 comments:

Purplestamper said...

Hi Tanya,
just read your post and love it. Glad you were able to visit with Frank...how fun. Things here are good, snowed again yesterday, but didn't stick. Aislinn is doing great...she loves our new staff person, Taylor, and was sitting on her lap (yes our Aislinn who is almost as tall as some of the leaders). Life is good, miss seeing you though. Hope you papers and exams go well...four weeks will fly by and then you will be with your kids :-) hang in there girlfirend...thanks for the interesting twisty drive...loved it....later alligator.

Tanya Johnson said...

Sheri, thanks for the comment. It is good to hear about my kids from an outside source. We are getting Spring-like weather here at the moment but they assure me that this is just a tease and winter will be back very soon. I am looking forward to coming home for a visit. I will come visit.

Natasha said...

Hey there sis!!
Glad to hear that you had such a good visit with Frank. Those roads are crazy!! Don't worry, those 4 weeks will fly by...just like these past 4 have. Now staop procrastinating and get studying!!!
Love ya!!
Ting

Tanya Johnson said...

She lives!!! Ting, I am so happy to hear from you. You haven't been scrapping lately (I check every day) and I haven't talked to you in so long. I am going to phone you soon. That is a promise, not a threat. Miss you.

Mary Sue said...

Just so you know, my sister, father, brother-in-law, and the majority of my uncles are ice-fishing rednecks. Ha... last weekend they didn't catch a thing! I'm pretty sure you're right about the lakes.
I'm confident that West Virginians do not hunt opossums. We trap opossums, then shoot them and use the tails to ward off evil spirits. Not really. The trapping regulations are real though. According to the WVDNR website, it is also legal to trap skunks. What are they thinking? I know some stupid people around here, but none are dumb enough to trap a skunk on purpose. You think the roads here are twisty? I know people that have nearly died after falling asleep on the roads here. There's some curves so sharp towards my house that while you're in the middle of them you're in a new realm. Now that's genuine extreme exaggeration coming from a 4th generation + WV native...
If Canada were closer, I'd give you a discount on piano lessons :).

Tanya Johnson said...

Mary Sue, I stand corrected. You can be my resident expert on all things WV. Your pedigree and first hand knowledge will be an asset to this blog. Hehehe. Take me home with you sometime, I want to travel into another realm! I'll bring the barf-bag.

Your Daily Laughter said...

Country Roads... take me home. :)

Thats all I have to say.