Saturday, March 28, 2009

I am a Science Nerd...or so they say...

Hello Friends,

So, my friend, Mary Sue (whom I call a Music Nerd) just called me a "Science Nerd".

It doesn't offend me. In fact, I would even say that she is correct. Science turns me on. It fascinates me. Okay, let me clarify that...Biology, specifically, turns my crank. I don't really get that excited about Chemistry, although, I wish it did, but it is the Study of Life that really gets me going.

Coming back to Glenville has been one of the hardest and most rewarding experiences of my life. I had thought I had given up biology. I thought that my future lay in a different direction. I must say, that I simply came back to school just to finish my degree. I didn't really care what degree that would be, I just wanted that piece of paper that said I finished my undergraduate portion of schooling. But, because I came back to the biology department, and because I have once again immersed myself in biology, I have fallen in love with it again. Working in the lab is so exciting and infinitely interesting. I love the intellectual conversations that take place there, with my fellow students but especially with my professors. Most of the time, the professors talk above my comprehension, but I want to understand what they are talking about. I crave to have their knowledge. Waiting 13 years to come back has put me very far behind. So much has been discovered since I was in school last. I feel like I was left behind, but I am striving to catch back up. I find that I don't have enough time to learn all the stuff that I want to. I am working on projects that I probably won't have the time to complete, and I am disappointed. I almost wish that I wasn't leaving at the end of this semester. Almost.

Today was the annual West Virginia Academy of Science gathering. It was held in Glenville this year and I was able to be a part of it. My Developmental Biology class had a poster entered and somehow I was elected the "defender" of our science research. Here is a picture of our poster.


I know, not the most exciting poster. Its title was "An investigation into the role of intracellular signaling during flatworm regeneration". We preformed some simple experiments with an animal called Planaria who were the first animal to be found that could completely regenerate themselves. If you cut a planaria in half, each half will regrow and become complete individuals within 2-3 weeks! In fact, it was shown in another experiment that if this little creature was cut into somthing like 257 pieces, ever single piece would regrow completely. Amazing! Some other animals have regenerative properties, like some lizards and skinks can drop their tails and regrow new ones, and starfish can regrow if they are cut as well. Even humans have limited regenerative capabilities. Our livers can regrow and there have been live-organ transplants with liver donors. Recent research has even indicated that the cells in our brains (the neurons) have some regenerative capabilities, which totally refutes previous beliefs that once our brains are damaged, nothing can be done. Planaria offer us an opportunity to study regeneration and try to figure out how this amazing process takes place. Stem Cell Research, a huge new field of study is based on this branch of study. It is hoped that one day, scientists will be able to regrow body parts that are damaged or not working properly. Maybe certain diseases and injuries can be cured. It really is cool stuff. And I had to answer questions regarding our simple little research project. I was totally pumped!

So, I am a science nerd. And proud of it. I have some other pictures to share.


We had a luncheon and had a guest speaker who gave this fascinating talk about Astrophysics and the use of the nearby radio telescope that is responsible for an amazing amount of research into outerspace. He had some truly beautiful pictures of our galaxy and exploding stars etc..

Here are some of my fellow students who are graduating with me this year from the Biology department.


And here is me in front of our poster.


Anyways, I had fun. I was thinking that this post might have put some of you to sleep. Sorry.

What are you passionate about?

Love Tanya

2 comments:

Mary Sue said...

Indeed you are a science nerd and I am a music nerd. Percussion ensemble and theory to me is equivalent to your enjoyment of cutting up worms. OH, my obsession with theory! He let us out "early" at 11:30, but I'm still a little wound up. I had a really exciting experience with cymbals today....big loud crashy splashy pinashy cymbals. SMACK SMACK SMACK!!! CHOCOLATE!! PIZZA!!! CANDY!!

Natasha said...

Ahhh...the science nerd lives in all of us!! My passion is the living body...so a science nerd (albeit an anatomy and physiology nerd) I am!!! And proud of it!! Stay true, stay proud...stay strong...oh fellow science nerd!!