Friday, March 13, 2009

Such Sweet Sorrow...

Hi Everyone,

Well, I said goodbye to the little brats this morning in VERY COLD Prince George (my hometown in central British Columbia). I going to miss those kids. We shared our hugs and gave our kisses and they ran off to watch Scooby Doo and I felt a little abandoned. Oh well, at least there weren't any tears. I guess I'm OK with that. I do kinda wish they would have expressed a little more sadness at the prospect of me leaving them for a couple months again. I guess they are used to it. My parents take them for months at a time each summer (thank you very much Pau Pau and Grandpa), so leaving them at their grandparents' is de rigeur, I guess. No big deal.

Mama and Kong kong (that's my Grandma and Grandpa on my Mom's side) treated me to a Chinese dinner at my favorite Chinese restaurant in Prince George. We have been going to Jumbo's since I was just a little kid; the same family has run this place since then and we have grown up eating their food. It was yummy.

You know, it must seem like all we do as a family is eat out. Well, in Chinese culture, treating someone to a meal out is very common. Whenever family or friends come over, we go out to eat with them. It's just what we do. It's not good for the waistline, but it is what is expected.

I got to spend a little more time with my little sister, Erika. She is going to be a full-fledged nurse pretty soon. I am very proud of her.

I also got to spend some quality time with Mama and Kong kong. I love them very much.



My Mom and Dad were my chauffeurs to and from the airport and unfortunately, they had to work so I didn't get to spend much time with them.

We are a pretty close family and care for each other and love to spend time together. I can't imagine it any other way.

I wanted to share a picture of the snow in Prince George. About two days before I flew up, they were saying it was -30 degrees Celsius. That is very cold. It was around freezing when I was there, but the snow made it feel much much colder. I'm kinda glad I'm not living there anymore. I don't like to be that cold.



Anyways, I am just sitting in an empty house waiting for Frank to get back. It is very quiet and I have too much time to think about how much I wish I didn't have to leave.

I hope these two and a half months go very quickly. I feel like I have written this before...

I will be back in Glenville Sunday evening. Back to being a student, rather than a wife, mother, daughter, grand-daughter, and sister. You would think someone would relish the simplicity of my situation...but I don't. I mean, I appreciate it and I am glad that I have the opportunity to concentrate on being just a student. But...I belong with my family. I need them...

Apparently, my kids need me too...

but they seem to make do with Scooby Doo just fine.

Talk to everyone soon.

Love Tanya

4 comments:

Natasha said...

Awww...sweetie, I'm sorry that your visit is over already!! And I know what you mean about needing your family, because even though I am here with my kiddos and Mike...I miss you guys (and the rest of the family) SO much!!! I can't wait to spend time with you all this summer, but I know that it's just going to fly by too quickly. Anyway, take care of yourself, have a safe trip home...and the next 2 1/2 months will just fly by!!

Tanya Johnson said...

Thank you, Ting. I knew you would understand how I feel. I miss you guys too.

Mary Sue said...

I sure as heck missed you here. I'm happy and sad that you're leaving after this semester. I miss my family, and they're only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Glenville. I can't imagine moving across the country, especially if I had kids. 55 days until graduation- that includes weekends!!! The first countdown I left you was at 81 days...Time is flying!!!

Purplestamper said...

Hey Tanya,
Great post. Stay strong and have a safe trip home. Time will go fast and before you know it you will be back here with your family. Great to see you while you were here. Sheri